Saturday 3 November 2018

Cop3 proposal presentation preparation

  In order to present my idea better and clearer during the presentation, I divided my presentation into few different parts.

Research question: How do brands in Hong Kong create their logos with traditional Chinese characters using their special structure or format?

1, Setting my topic:
  As my Cop 2, my topic was about the structure of Chinese characters and the difference between Eastern and Western characters in design, hence, this is what I want to build on in this current research.

2, Purpose of setting this question:
-Hong Kong is my hometown
-After I graduate, I probably will go back to Hong Kong and work
-So most of my clients are Hong Kong brands which mainly designing with traditional Chinese characters.
-Therefore, I think this would be a really good chance for me to find and understand more rules of designing with traditional Chinese characters which is really helpful before I start working in the industry.

3, What have I done over summer?
- I read a few books about the typography of traditional Chinese and how to design or edit with it.
- For example, taking off some parts and rearrange it to form a new character or design.
- Also, I went back to Hong Kong for my summer holiday, moreover, I looked around different brands or even anything that has traditional Chinese characters so I took a lot of photographs that are really inspired me.

Books that I have read over summer








  These books are really interesting, even though I am originally a Hong Kong person and I know Cantonese (Traditional Chinese) well but I didn't even know we can edit the character in this way to create something new.

The most inspired photographs




  The first picture was the most attractive brand to me because the design is like 60-70s, the characters were not similar to what we usually write, it looks quite messy tho but it is still visible. This is what exactly I am interesting on.

4, What have I learnt? 
-Design something using traditional Chinese characters by their specific structure.
-In the past, I just mainly used English to design the brandings which were totally different structure with traditional Chinese characters.

  This is a really inspiring and interesting image from the internet, this is the style that breaking down the character into different parts.

5, What have I developed from the research?
-Understand more about how to design a logo with traditional Chinese characters, like how to edit with the typography and recreate the logo


No comments:

Post a Comment