Thursday 12 April 2018

Idea development

  Basically, I wanted to keep the Potato's head, however, as I wanted to work with a "Bruce Lee character" so I think it would be great to change the face become more serious and sporty. Therefore, I removed the tie.
  In order to make it looks more serious, I added a short curly line as his mouth.


  As I found that the yellow clothe is the most iconic of Bruce Lee, hence, I tried to draw it simply just in black and yellow with two circle as his hands so that it formed the position when Bruce Lee ready to fight.


  Afterward, it was the most important part in this project, I tried to work with different style of font but it has a limited Chinese font in Adobe software. So I tried to work with object as the font. The translated version should be "品客" Suddenly, I got an interesting idea, I was thinking to use Bruce Lee weapon which was called "Nunchaku", in every Bruce Lee movies, we can see he used Nunchaku all the time so I was thinking if I could make a character by using Nunchaku or not.

Nunchaku
  However, the outcome was really poor and doesn't match with the original English version of Pringles so I just removed the idea.
  Therefore, I selected a typeface that I think it looks the best with the English version which was called"Osaka". Basically, I decided to use the same yellow and black for the font because it can represent the clothes of Bruce Lee and looks similar with the original logo at the same time.




  I tried with different thickness until I think it looks the best, in order to make it looks similar to the English version, I followed the style that how they did even though I couldn't do kerning in this two characters, in their original logo, I found that they made a black shadow under the characters so I did the same which looks similar.
  I was thinking where could I playing with typography else rather than just "品客", due to the fact that my ideas was about Bruce Lee, I was also thinking about his name Bruce Lee in Traditional Chinese. His name in traditional Chinese is "李小龍". Due to the fact that "龍" means Dragon in Chinese and it is the most representative to Hong Kong so I decide to play with that character. The hand-writing of "龍" is quite difficult so I know that it couldn't looks too messy  and shouldn't be too thick otherwise people may not see the word clearly.




  Basically, I put it inside the centre of a circle so that it looks like the main idea of the clothes, when people saw this word with the colour and style of that clothes, they can get the idea immediately.

  Actually, I also tried to make an "Asian" version, I changed his hair and moustache into black, however, I think it doesn't work well in this stage so I just kept it the same as the original one.

No comments:

Post a Comment