Monday 23 April 2018

Project proposal for COP3

  This is a project proposal for COP3 in next academic year. 

1)Research question:
- Normally the extension topic of my COP2, how to play with typography with traditional Chinese characters in graphic design.

2)Rationale:
- Due to the fact that I could talk about how to play with the characters in graphic design in my COP2 essay so I want to research about this question. Moreover, even though I am a Hong Kongers and I know how to write the character, however, I don't really know how do some designers design or play with the typography in traditional Chinese. Basically, talk about how it apply into the graphic design nowadays such as packaging, wayfinding system or restaurant menu, etc. This will make me understand more so that I can learn from it which benefits me a lot in my practice.

3)Contexts:
- Social?
- Technology?

4) Theoretical approach:
- How to use the character in a correct style(thickness, etc)?

5) Method:
- Primary: surveys, focus group?
- Secondary: Books, content analysis?

6) Practical Outcome?
- Try to make my own branding with traditional chinese in an appropriate way?

7) Resources?
- Different books about typography playing (traditional chinese) in graphic design.
- Online article
- Examples of design

8) Summer reading lists:
- A book in traditional Chinese called "字型散步-Font walk".
- Raster Imaging and Digital Typography II: Proceedings of the Conference on Raster Imaging and Digital
- Typography
- Logo design
- Modern Asian Design

9) Time planning:
Project brief:

  Basically, I am planning to extend my COP2 essay with a deeper research. I wanted to do something that is special with others for example I was thinking what I am different with others, it is true that the main different is language. Therefore, I wanted to use my own knowledge in the essay which the others don't have. I talked about the structure of traditional Chinese characters in COP2, however, I want to know more about how do people play with it (typography) when they designing graphic design outcomes like logo branding, wayfinding system or cover, etc. I believed that it would be really benefit to my skills because I probably will working in HongKong after graduate and this essay would enhance my ability on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment